02 September 2010

Vale Michele Huston

Today I heard that Michele Huston passed away. I am very sad. I will miss her very much: the sound of her voice, her laugh, her wit and her wise advice when I needed it.

We worked together for some years at the Australian War Memorial and continued to collaborate after she left the Memorial to work at the National Library of Australia. I enjoyed working with her and talking with her immensely.

She encouraged and championed new thinking from perspectives well away from the traditional areas in cultural institutions.

The Australian library sector has lost much with her passing, but she leaves a legacy in the people she encouraged and in many of the web initiatives she set in place.

There is a wonderful photo of Michele by Russ Weakley on Flickr with one of the talents she nurtured at both the Memorial and at NLA, Paul Hagon.

Farewell my friend. My sympathies to her loving family.



No comments: